We are excited to report that our first phase of construction remains on schedule, thanks to favorable weather conditions, detailed planning, and the support of parents, faculty, students, and neighbors. The next two projects within the campus plan will begin during Christmas Break.
When you return to campus in January, Westminster Center Phase One and the parking deck will be underway. The construction site for these two projects will extend from Adams Gate and through the former senior parking lot to the loop road.
We are pleased to confirm that the parking deck is scheduled to open nine months later in August 2020. This second construction site will impact traffic patterns and parking on campus for the remainder of the school year. Below are important details to keep in mind as you make carpool arrangements for Winter and Spring 2020.
- Access to Adams Gate from the loop road will be closed.
- Upper School student drop-off will be relocated to Turner Gym.
- The new Middle School road will convert to two-way traffic. Middle School parents are highly encouraged to drop off and pick up at the “Upper Clarkson Circle” and enter and exit campus from the front gate at West Paces Ferry Road as traffic congestion is expected near the back gate. Using the front gate will allow the quickest access to the Middle School road, enabling parents to bypass traffic at Upper and Lower School drop-off and pick-up points.
- Lower School drop-off and pick-up will remain the same. The 7:20 a.m. morning drop-off extension will continue to be offered and is encouraged to help reduce traffic congestion at the back gate.
Our parking plan for Winter and Spring 2020 enables students, faculty, staff, parents, and visitors to continue to park on campus with a reduction of only 25 spaces across campus.
- A new gravel lot adjacent to Turner Gym (between Turner and Campbell) will be open to accommodate faculty, staff, and visitors who historically parked in the former Senior and Visitor Lots. This lot will be accessed from behind Turner Gym; pedestrians will utilize the existing walkway at Turner to access the quad.
- Limited visitor parking will be available along the new Middle School road.
- There will be no change to Lower School parking.
- The spaces bordering Clarkson Hall will remain available.
How You Can Help
Thank you for your partnership, your patience, and your willingness to navigate the inevitable inconveniences that projects of this magnitude bring. As we look to this next phase of construction, following are a few simple ways to help lessen the impact on your family’s morning and afternoon commutes.
- Arrange to carpool with other Westminster families to lessen the car count on campus.
- Make a plan with your child(ren), identifying the most efficient pick-up location and schedule after school.
- Utilize the early drop-off time period in Lower School. We hope you have noticed the difference this schedule extension has made in traffic congestion around Love Hall, and we are pleased to continue this for the remainder of the school year!