Members of the boys and girls track and field teams recently competed in the GHSA AAA state championship in Albany, Georgia.
The boys team, led by AAA Highest Point winner Paris Howland '18, finished in second place, just six points behind state champion Cedar Grove High School. The team earned 13 top ten finishes. Highlights included Paris earning the state championship in the high jump competition and Will Wallace '19 being the state champion in the 3200-meter run. The 4x400 meter relay team of Bryson Rorie '18, Paris, Miles Davis '18, and Samuel Woodhouse IV '18 broke the school record in the event and finished third in the state.
The girls team, led by Delaney Graham '18 and Naima Turbes '19, earned nine top ten finishes. Delaney won the state championship in the 3200-meter run and Naima was the state champion in the 800- and 1600-meter runs. Naima broke a 30-year-old GHSA AAA record in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:11.21. Her time also broke the school record. School records also fell for Delaney and Naima as they set the new standards (and broke their own records) for the 400- and 1600-meter runs. In the field events, pole vaulter Anna Smith '19 earned a second-place finish with a vault of 9’6”.
Full event results:
- Boys high jump: Paris Howland (first place)
- Boys 4x400 meter relay: Bryson Rorie '18, Paris Howland '18, Miles Davis '18, Samuel Woodhouse IV '18 (third place)
- Boys 800-meter run: Peter Huff '19 (fourth place)
- Boys 110-meter hurdles: Andrew Protiva '19 (fifth place)
- Boys 400-meter dash: Samuel Woodhouse IV '18 (third place)
- Boys 4x100 meter relay: Bryson Rorie '18, Andrew Protiva '19, Justin Jones '19, Paris Howland '18 (fourth place)
- Boys 3200-meter run: Will Wallace '19 (first place), Zachary Roe '20 (second place)
- Boys 1600-meter run: Peter Huff '19 (second place), Will Wallace '19 (third place)
- Boys discus throw: Alex Cann '18 (third place)
- Boys triple jump: Paris Howland '18 (second place)
- Boys pole vault: Andrew Protiva '19 (fifth place), Truman Vick '18 (tenth place)
- Boys shot put: Peter Rooney '18 (11th place)
- Girls 4x400 meter relay: Delaney Graham '18, Victoria Flowers '19, Naima Turbes '19, Bronte Bacchetta '18 (fourth place)
- Girls 300-meter hurdles: Mikaela Sanders '19 (eighth place)
- Girls 800-meter run: Naima Turbes '19 (first place), Bronte Bacchetta '18 (second place)
- Girls 400-meter dash: Delaney Graham '18 (third place)
- Girls 1600-meter run: Naima Turbes '18 (first place), Bronte Bacchetta (second place)
- Girls pole vault: Anna Smith '19 (second place)
- Girls 3200-meter run: Delaney Graham '18 (first place), Kelli Flowers '21 (11th place)