Eighteen Middle and Upper School students were honored with 61 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards at the regional level.
Seven students received Gold Keys, a designation that represents “the very best work submitted to local programs”: Rachel Doman '22 (two Gold Keys), Max Graves '20, Riley Hernandez '20, Sarah Lao '21 (four Gold Keys), Julia Rhee '21, Sarah Street '21, and Meimei Xu '20 (five Gold Keys). Gold Key winners will be displayed at the Savannah College of Art and Design February 22-29 and are automatically submitted for recognition at the national level.
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are the nation’s longest-running and most prestigious recognition program for creative teens in grades 7–12. Students submit nearly 350,000 works of art and writing to 29 categories. Approximately 90,000 works are recognized at the regional level.
The Gold Key works will now be judged nationally by a panel of creative-industry experts to receive national recognition. Recipients of a national award will be announced in March and honored at a ceremony in New York City this summer.
- Rachel Doman '22, dramatic script (2)
- Max Graves '20, art portfolio
- Riley Hernandez '20, personal essay & memoir
- Sarah Lao '21, poetry (4)
- Julia Rhee '21, journalism
- Sarah Street '21, poetry
- Meimei Xu '20, journalism, personal essay & memoir (2), writing portfolio, short story
- Sarah Lao '21, critical essay (2), poetry
- Michelle Liu '22, sculpture
- Rachel Liu '21, poetry
- Toby Liu '22, short story
- Julia Rhee '21, personal essay & memoir (2), journalism (2)
- Sarah Street '21, poetry, critical essay
- Annie Sumardi '21, poetry, photography
- Hazel Thekkekara '24, flash fiction
- Meimei Xu '20, poetry
- Stephanie Choi '20, drawing & illustration
- Caroline Domescik '20, drawing & illustration
- Max Graves '20, drawing & illustration
- Riya Jayanthi '21, poetry, humor
- Akshadha Lagisetti '21, photography
- Sarah Lao '21, poetry (2)
- Michelle Liu '22, photography, future new
- Rachel Liu '21, painting, poetry, critical essay, personal essay & memoir
- Julia Rhee '21, journalism, personal essay & memoir
- Sarah Street '21, poetry (8)
- Noah Wahl '22, mixed media (2)
- Catherine Wang '20, fashion, film & animation
- Meimei Xu '20, journalism, poetry